Wednesday, September 17, 2008

She works hard for the...no not the money.

Well it's 11:10 on a Wednesday night and I'm at the library studying for my first test that's on Monday. I have been studying all week cause I'm so nervous about it and I want to make a good grade. Plus, the amount of information I have to know is nothing like I have ever had to know for a test before. I'm a little out of my element. Grad school is so different and I like it. It's really hard (go figure), and I spend the majority of my time studying, but I have never wanted to study as hard in my whole life. It can be a pain don't get me wrong and I wish I could just go home and sleep, but I have this drive to keep studying. And it isn't even like I absolutely love all my classes cause I don't...I just feel motivated to be good at them. Which I guess is a good thing, right? BUT I don't just want to be good for the sake of being good, I really want to stretch my myself and the way that I think about things; I really want to honor God with my mind and work for something the way that I have worked for other things. We had this saying in softball "Go all out, and leave it all out on the field". That's how I feel about working in grad school; I want to work and "go all out" and leave nothing out on the table...all my efforts spent towards a goal!

I've been busy in other areas too. I got a job working as a learning assistant in the athletic department. I'm kind of like a mom to about 10 student athletes, all football, track, and basketball. I really love my job! These guys are so fun and are such the stereotypical Division 1 athlete. Everday they stroll into the lab jamming to their ipods and iphones, always eating, and it seems like all they care about is watching game clips on YouTube. I love 'em though...they are fun and energetic and always make me laugh! I want them to know Jesus, if they know nothing else. So, the tough part is figuring out a way to relate to them and how to infuse the Gospel into their culture. Which is SO polar opposite from mine...just imagine me with a bunch big ol' football players. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm praying for wisdom.

Welp, it's 11:30 now and I need to get back to the books. Much Love.

1 comment:

susan said...

Hi Courtney!

It's Susan Perales from the Stone..we met at church a few weeks before you left for College Station.

I wanted to encourage you in your desire to reach out to the football players.

I'm proud of you for praying for wisdom! In addition, I would suggest that you pray, pray, pray, for those young men. I don't "know" you, but feel a kindred spirit in that we've both lost a parent. I know you'll be a shining example of strength to them. Have any of these guys lost a parent? I'm certain that the Lord will lead you to an opening to discuss Him with them and I'm sure that there's common ground somewhere. After all, we both know you're not in this job by accident!!

much Love,
~susan~